High-withers are not specific to any horse breed type.
However, it is most common in some Warmbloods, Saddlebreds, and Thoroughbreds.
While it is crucial to find the best fitting saddle for these horses, it’s more important to have the best western saddle pad for high withers because the pad affects saddle fit as well.
Our Selections of 5 Best Western Saddle Pad for High Withered Horses Use Compared!
|Diamond Wool Contour Relief Pad w/Shim Pockets- Saddle Pads for High Withered Horses||#1|
|Classic Equine BioFit Correction Shim Pad- Another Best High Withered Horse Saddle Pad||#2|
|Southwestern Equine OrthoRide Correction Saddle Pad- Best Saddle Pad for Older Horses||#3|
|Kavallerie All-Purpose Saddle Pad with Quilted- Another Best Saddle Pad for Horses||#4|
|ECP Cotton Correction All Purpose Contoured- Saddle Pads for High Withered Horses||#5|
Top 6 Best Saddle Pad for High Withered Horses
English riders may find similarly designed English pads. The best English pad for a high withered horse also provides wither relief.
English pads typically feature an additional amount of material built into the wither area that lets the pad lift up off the horse withers with no issues at all.
In some cases, you may need to purchase a riser pad for the cantle of the saddle to aid in the distribution of weight evenly and to ensure that the saddle isn’t at an awkward angle.
Southwestern Equine OrthoRide Correction Saddle Pad- Best Saddle Pad for Older Horse & Young Horse both
This saddle pad is one of the correction pads out there that has been built to relieve many issues related to riding and saddle fitiing.
The materials are built from orthopedic grade felt with Poron XRD and memory foam.
The built-up area of the pad is designed in such a way that shoulder pressure and strain are relieved.
This pad is made for the different kinds of conformation from narrow shoulders to high withers.
I find it more helpful for young horses with unusual conformation.
If your current saddle tilts forward or is too large, this pad will help you.
- It comes with memory foam build up and Poron XRD too
- It keeps away sweat and moisture.
- It has contoured design built from two-toned orthopedic grade felt
- Fills saddle gaps and prevents pressure points
- It fits a range of horses from young to old.
- It is great for high withered horses
- Great for all western performance disciplines
- Some users report issues with separation and stitching
ALSO READ: Best Western Saddle Pad Brands
Classic Equine BioFit Correction Shim Pad- another Best High Withered Horse Saddle Pad
Classic Equine is a famous brand, no doubt. This brand has made a name for itself over time building trust in the hearts of equine lovers.
This pad adjusts to the need of your horse. For starters, it alleviates downhill to conform to high withers and includes a cut-out area for high withered horses.
It comes with a closed-cell foam shim that is wedge-shaped, letting you adjust the pad to the saddle.
If what you need is more correction, slide the pad back. If you need less, slide it forward.
- It is available in two dizes
- It is contoured to fit the horse’s shape
- BioFit Shim Pad
- Corrects downhill saddle fit
- Available in two sizes
- Produced from 100% virgin wool fleece
- It gets rid of pressure points
- Doesn’t slip or move
- Only once color option is available
Diamond Wool Contour Relief Pad w/Shim Pockets- Best Western Saddle Pads for High Withered Horses
We recommend getting the Diamond Wool Contour Relief Pad with Shim Pockets to enjoy the ultimate correction and saddle fit for your high-withered horses’ needs.
This pad is no doubt one of the best High withers saddle pads for western riding.
The bad comes with a contoured spin and three pockets on each side.
With these pockets, you can employ the wool shims as you need to fill in areas where your horse needs support.
It comes with a cutout area for wither relief as well.
- It is available in 6 unique colors
- It comes with pockets and shims for shim placement
- Shims are ½ inch thick and made of wool
- It comes with durable duck cotton top
- Produced from quality wool
- Multiple adjustments can be made for horses as they age
- Hugs the horse’s back
- Cotton have proven to be slippery with some saddles
Kavallerie All-Purpose Saddle Pad with Quilted Anti-Slip Padding- Another Best Saddle Pad for Horses
The Kavallerie All Purpose Pad is the way to go. This jump saddle is perfect for your dressage saddle.
It is available with or without fur accents. This pad is created to provide comfort to both the rider and his horse without adding density.
The pad’s materials aid in the prevention of back injuries such as bruising and rubs. It also does not chafe or slip.
- It is also made from breathable Bamboo charcoal lining
- It helps evade rubs, friction and chafing on long riding days
- Plenty of wither clearance for high-withered horses
- Produced from 3D mesh for heat regulation and airflow
- It has stylish accents for showing and schooling
- It is fully padded and not heavy
- The pad lacks adjustable shims, so your saddle must fit your horse properly.
ECP Cotton Correction All Purpose Contoured Saddle Pad- One Of the Best English Saddle Pads for High Withered Horses
The ECP Cotton Correction All-purpose Contoured Saddle Pad boasts memory foam pockets that let you precisely fit your saddle and pad to your horse requirement.
Being one of the best English saddle pads for high withered horses means you can adjust with ease and the memory foam pads absorb shocks.
This pad is more than recommended for young horses that also change shape as they age.
- It has 4 memory foam pockets that Velcro shut
- It encourages adjustment in both cantle and pommel areas.
- Available in 10 color options
- It can be adjusted to fit your hoses’s needs without looking bulky.
- Moisture wicking, diamond-quilted pad
- Memory foam may not provide enough cushion for some horses